Sept. 30, 2013 — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today granted accelerated approval to Perjeta (pertuzumab) as part of a complete treatment regimen for patients with early stage breast cancer before surgery (neoadjuvant setting). Perjeta is the first FDA-approved drug for the neoadjuvant treatment of breast cancer.
Perjeta was approved in 2012 for the treatment of patients with advanced or late-stage (metastatic) HER2-positive breast cancer. HER2-positive breast cancers have increased amounts of the HER2 protein that contributes to cancer cell growth and survival
cut paste of my old article
he European Medicines Agency (EMA) has approved Roche’s PERJETA (pertuzumab) for patients with previously untreated HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (mBC)
MARCH 5, 2013 8:59 AM / 4 COMMENTS /
Pertuzumab (also called 2C4, trade name Perjeta) is a monoclonal antibody. The first of its class in a line of agents called “HER dimerization inhibitors”. By binding to HER2, it inhibits the dimerization of HER2 with other HER receptors, which is hypothesized to result in slowed tumor growth. Pertuzumab received US FDA approval for the treatment of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer on June 8, 2012. Pertuzumab was developed at Genentech and is now owned by Roche which acquired Genentech in 2009.
Early clinical trials of pertuzumab in prostate, breast, and ovarian cancers have been met with limited success.
The dosage of pertuzumab used in the pivotal phase III CLEOPATRA (Clinical Evaluation of Pertuzumab and Trastuzumab) trial was as follows: IV 840 mg loading dose followed by IV 420 mg every three weeks.
The pharmacokinetics of intravenous pertuzumab appear to be unaffected by age and no drug-drug interaction has been reported with docetaxel. The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of pertuzumab were summarized in a Feb 2012 review by Gillian Keating.
The combination of pertuzumab plus trastuzumab plus docetaxel, as compared with placebo plus trastuzumab plus docetaxel, when used as first-line treatment for HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer, significantly prolonged progression-free survival, with no increase in cardiac toxic effects in the randomized, double-blind, multinational, phase III CLEOPATRA trial.
Intravenous pertuzumab is currently being evaluated in patients with breast cancer in the following trials: MARIANNE (advanced breast cancer), NEOSPHERE (early breast cancer), TRYPHAENA (HER2-positive stage II/III breast cancer) and APHINITY (HER2-positive nonmetastatic breast cancer).
- de Bono, Johann S.; Bellmunt, J; Attard, G; Droz, JP; Miller, K; Flechon, A; Sternberg, C; Parker, C et al. (20 January 2007). “Open-Label Phase II Study Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Two Doses of Pertuzumab in Castrate Chemotherapy-Naive Patients With Hormone-Refractory Prostate Cancer”. Journal of Clinical Oncology 25 (3): 257–262.doi:10.1200/JCO.2006.07.0888. PMID 17235043.
- “FDA Approves Perjeta (Pertuzumab) for People With HER2-Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer” (Press release). Genentech. Retrieved 2012-06-09.
- Genentech press release – May 15, 2005
- Keating GM. Pertuzumab: in the first-line treatment of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer. Drugs 2012 Feb 12; 72 (3): 353-60.Link text
- Baselga J, Cortés J, Kim SB, and the CLEOPATRA Study Group. Pertuzumab plus trastuzumab plus docetaxel for metastatic breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2012 Jan 12; 366 (2): 109-19. Link text
Howdy! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile
friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my iphone4.
I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this issue.
If you have any suggestions, please share. Cheers!
So does breast actives really work how can i know when it works?
In saline-filled, does breast actives really work a round tear drop shaped material increase breast cancer risk rises with age.