Chemical Formula: C32H47N5O6S
Exact Mass: 629.32470
Synonym: WX 671; WX-671; WX671. Upamostat; Brand name: Mesupron.
RedHill Biopharma Ltd. , an Israeli biopharmaceutical company focused on late clinical-stage drugs for inflammatory and gastrointestinal diseases, including cancer, and WILEX AG , a biopharmaceutical company focused on oncology, based in Munich, Germany, today announced that they have signed an exclusive license agreement for the oncology drug … (more)
Upamostat, also known as Mesupron, WX-671, is an orally bioavailable, 3-amidinophenylalanine-derived, second generation serine protease inhibitor prodrug targeting the human urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) system with potential antineoplastic and antimetastatic activities. After oral administration, serine protease inhibitor WX-671 is converted to the active Nα-(2,4,6-triisopropylphenylsulfonyl)-3-amidino-(L)-phenyla lanine-4-ethoxycarbonylpiperazide (WX-UK1), which inhibits several serine proteases, particularly uPA; inhibition of uPA may result in the inhibition of tumor growth and metastasis. uPA is a serine protease involved in degradation of the extracellular matrix and tumor cell migration and proliferation.
Information about this agent
WX-671 (Mesupron) is an orally available prodrug of WX-UK1, a serine protease inhibitor that inhibits uPA as well as other serine proteases. WX-UK1 (Setyono-Han et al., Thromb Haemost 2005) and WX-671 have shown to efficiently reduce primary tumor growth and metastasis formation in a variety of animal models. The proteolytic factor uPA and its inhibitor PAI-1 belong to those biological factors which have provided the highest level of evidence (LOE1) in terms of their prognostic and predictive significance. WX-671 is currently the only drug in Phase II aiming at this target.Results: All 95 patients were accrued between Jun 2007 and Aug 2008. Efficacy is assessed by a central reader at regular intervals based on digital CT images. By end of 2009, 2 patients were still on treatment without signs of progression, 64 patients had died. Preliminary analysis of overall survival showed an increase in overall survival from 10.2 mo (gemcitabine alone) to 13.5 mo for the combination of gemcitabine and WX-671. 1-year survival increased from 37% with gemcitabine to 53% when combined with 400 mg WX- 671. Conclusions: The combination of daily oral WX-671 in combination with weekly i.v. gemcitabine was well tolerated. see asco.com’s website.
1. Analysis of highly potent amidine containing inhibitors of serine proteases and their N-hydroxylated prodrugs (amidoximes) By Kotthaus, Joscha; Steinmetzer, Torsten; van de Locht, Andreas; Clement, Bernd From Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry (2011), 26(1), 115-122.
2. Combined treatment of cancer by urokinase inhibition and a cytostatic anti-cancer agent for enhancing the anti-metastatic effect By Schmalix, Wolfgang; Schneider, Anneliese; Setyono-Han, Buddy; Foekens, Johannes From U.S. Pat. Appl. Publ. (2008), US 20080226624 A1 20080918.
3. Peptides and small molecules targeting the plasminogen activation system: towards prophylactic anti-metastasis drugs for breast cancer By Tyndall, Joel D. A.; Kelso, Michael J.; Clingan, Phillip; Ranson, Marie From Recent Patents on Anti-Cancer Drug Discovery (2008), 3(1), 1-13.
4. Synthesis of hydroxyamidine and hydroxyguanidine amino acid or oligopeptide derivatives for use as urokinase plasminogen activator inhibitors for the treatment of cancer and its metastasis By Sperl, Stefan; Buergle, Markus; Schmalix, Wolfgang; Wosikowski, Katja; Clement, Bernd From U.S. Pat. Appl. Publ. (2006), US 20060142305 A1 20060629.
5. Crystalline modifications of N-α-(2,4,6-triisopropylphenylsulfonyl)-3-hydroxyamidino-(l)-phenylalanine-4-ethoxycarbonylpiperazide and/or its salts By Grunenberg, Alfons; Lenz, Jana From PCT Int. Appl. (2006), WO 2006056448 A1 20060601.
6. Synthesis of hydroxyamidine and hydroxyguanidine amino acid or oligopeptide derivatives for use as urokinase plasminogen activator inhibitors for the treatment of cancer and its metastasis By Sperl, Stefan; Burgle, Markus; Schmalix, Wolfgang; Wosikowski, Katja; Clement, Bernd From PCT Int. Appl. (2004), WO 2004103984 A1 20041202.
7. Preparation of 3-amidinophenylalanine derivatives from 3-cyanophenylalanines via reduction and hydrogenation under mild conditions By Ziegler, Hugo; Wikstroem, Peter From PCT Int. Appl. (2003), WO 2003072559 A1 20030904.
1. Buddy et al, Suppression of Rat Brest Cancer Metastasis and Reduction of Primary Tumor Growth by the Small Synthetic Urokinase Inhibitor WX-UK1. Thromb Haemost. 2005, 93:779-786.
2. Ertongur S, Lang S, Mack B, Wosikowski K, Muehlenweg B, Gires O. Inhibition of the invasion capacity of carcinoma cells by WX-UK1, a novel synthetic inhibitor of the urokinase-type plasminogen activator system. Int J Cancer. 2004, 110(6):815-24.
3. Setyono-Han B, Stürzebecher J, Schmalix WA, Muehlenweg B, Sieuwerts AM, Timmermans M, Magdolen V, Schmitt M, Klijn JG, Foekens JA. Suppression of rat breast cancer metastasis and reduction of primary tumour growth by the small synthetic urokinase inhibitor WX-UK1. Thromb Haemost. 2005, 93(4):779-86.