13 dec 2013
Genzyme’s Cerdelga NDA receives US FDA priority review designationpharmabiz.comThe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted a six-month Priority Review designation to Genzyme’s New Drug Application (NDA) for Cerdelga (eliglustat), an investigational oral therapy for adult patients with Gaucher disease
THERAPEUTIC CLAIM Treatment of lysosomal storage disorders
1. Octanamide, N-[(1R,2R)-2-(2,3-dihydro-1,4-benzodioxin-6-yl)-2-hydroxy-1-(1-
pyrrolidinylmethyl)ethyl]-, (2R,3R)-2,3-dihydroxybutanedioate (2:1)
MOLECULAR FORMULA C23H36N2O4 . ½ C4H6O6
MOLECULAR WEIGHT 479.6
MANUFACTURER Genzyme Corp.
CODE DESIGNATION Genz-112638
CAS REGISTRY NUMBER 928659-70-5
old article cut paste
Genzyme Announces Positive New Data from Two Phase 3 Studies for Oral Eliglustat Tartrate for Gaucher Disease
Eliglustat tartrate (USAN)
The randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study had a primary efficacy endpoint of improvement in spleen size in patients treated with eliglustat tartrate. Patients were stratified at baseline by spleen volume. In the study, a statistically significant improvement in spleen size was observed at nine months in patients treated with eliglustat tartrate compared with placebo. Spleen volume in patients treated with eliglustat tartrate decreased from baseline by a mean of 28 percent compared with a mean increase of two percent in placebo patients, for an absolute difference of 30 percent (p<0.0001).
Eliglustat tartate (Genz-112638)
What is Eliglustat?
- Eliglustat is a new investigational phase 3 compound from Genzyme Corporation that is being studied for type 1 Gaucher Disease.
- Eliglustat works as a substrate reduction therapy by reducing glucocerebroside. formation.
- This product is an oral agent (i.e. a pill) that is taken once or twice a day in contrast to an IV infusion for enzyme replacement therapy. Enzyme replacement therapy focuses on replenishing the enzyme that is deficient in Gaucher Disease and breaks down glucocerebroside that accumulates.
- The clinical trials for eliglustat tartate are sponsored by Genzyme Corporation.